vcczar

1804 Election Update (Historical Scenario Commission)

33 posts in this topic

Thanks @CalebsParadox and @jvikings1 I look forward to your responses/reports. While waiting, I've been doing updates to 1808 ahead of schedule. 

Notes on 1804: 
I only did one "real" playthrough where I tried to do as well as I could without gamey tactics. The results more or less mirrored IRL... :P This one is easier to dissect due to it being a blowout and I have plenty of time for it now that I'm home. 

Bugs/Fixes:
James Monroe does not endorse James Monroe in Virginia when set to "on". There's also the Tammany Hall endorser that should probably have more sensible values. 
The corruption issue references Democrats and Whigs, and the far left and right issues could really be redone (perhaps with references to the Adams and Jefferson presidencies)
The Tariff issue in general needs to be redone as it sounds like it's from the 1900s.
Left and Far-Left taxes issues reference a workers state. 
National Bank deserves a nice rewording too. 
I'm not sure what's going on with the Louisiana Purchase issue description, you should definitely take a look. 
If I recall correctly, the U.S. was in the middle of the Barbary Wars at this time, so maybe change up that issue description as well. 
Rights of States should probably be redone (maybe references to the Articles of Confederation for Far-Right, currently references the Confederacy in past tense)
Center-Right slavery issue positions has a small typo in the very beginning. 
Pinckney has a clone of himself as an additional surrogate. 
Relations between candidates and between parties need to be set. 
There are two vice leader debates and no leader debates.
Independent Party should have an appropriately named VP. 

Polling and Stats:
Henry Lee would probably poll better against Pinckney in the South, though admittedly I'm not sure of this. His polling is very high in Ohio and Kentucky, strangely. 
Experience for Clinton and Madison should probably be 3. 
Burr's Leadership should probably be 3. 

Additions:
I'd recommend adding in all candidates who run in the primaries as endorsers. This can allow for players to win endorsements from withdrawn candidates before a contested convention and secure the nomination 'diplomatically'. 
Add more Vice Presidential candidates (applies to all future elections as well)
This one is a little nitpicky as the AI very rarely makes use of it, but maybe tailored PIP stats even though it really only affects human players. Adds a little realism. 
WI: Independent President Washington if you end up with the time for it. 

9 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

Notes on 1804: 
I only did one "real" playthrough where I tried to do as well as I could without gamey tactics. The results more or less mirrored IRL... :P This one is easier to dissect due to it being a blowout and I have plenty of time for it now that I'm home. 

Bugs/Fixes:
James Monroe does not endorse James Monroe in Virginia when set to "on". There's also the Tammany Hall endorser that should probably have more sensible values. 
The corruption issue references Democrats and Whigs, and the far left and right issues could really be redone (perhaps with references to the Adams and Jefferson presidencies)
The Tariff issue in general needs to be redone as it sounds like it's from the 1900s.
Left and Far-Left taxes issues reference a workers state. 
National Bank deserves a nice rewording too. 
I'm not sure what's going on with the Louisiana Purchase issue description, you should definitely take a look. 
If I recall correctly, the U.S. was in the middle of the Barbary Wars at this time, so maybe change up that issue description as well. 
Rights of States should probably be redone (maybe references to the Articles of Confederation for Far-Right, currently references the Confederacy in past tense)
Center-Right slavery issue positions has a small typo in the very beginning. 
Pinckney has a clone of himself as an additional surrogate. 
Relations between candidates and between parties need to be set. 
There are two vice leader debates and no leader debates.
Independent Party should have an appropriately named VP. 

Polling and Stats:
Henry Lee would probably poll better against Pinckney in the South, though admittedly I'm not sure of this. His polling is very high in Ohio and Kentucky, strangely. 
Experience for Clinton and Madison should probably be 3. 
Burr's Leadership should probably be 3. 

Additions:
I'd recommend adding in all candidates who run in the primaries as endorsers. This can allow for players to win endorsements from withdrawn candidates before a contested convention and secure the nomination 'diplomatically'. 
Add more Vice Presidential candidates (applies to all future elections as well)
This one is a little nitpicky as the AI very rarely makes use of it, but maybe tailored PIP stats even though it really only affects human players. Adds a little realism. 
WI: Independent President Washington if you end up with the time for it. 

Thanks! This is helpful, especially regarding to the issue descriptions. I think I just overlooked these when cranking out these early scenarios. 

1. When you say James Monroe won't endorse James Monroe, do you mean Madison? For whatever reason, my internal version does not have James Monroe as a candidate for the 1804 election. 

2. The corruption issue descriptions were fixed by me earlier. It's listed in the original post. 

3. Thanks for all the issue description proofreading. 

4. That's not a clone of Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, that is his cousin Charles Pinckney. There were actually three related Charles Pinckneys; although, one of them isn't alive by this point. 

5. I had already set the relations between candidates and party. It's listed in the original post. 

6. Henry Lee's national popularity wasn't as great as Pinckney's, who had also been a general and an Ambassador to France, which brought him a lot of attention considering the French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars were going on at this time. I'm not sure why I have Henry Lee so strong in Ohio and Kentucky. I probably had a reason for this. Regardless, these states don't have the popular vote, so it doesn't matter what the % is, since the game randomizes the states without a popular vote. This might not be reflected in your version of the game. I have adjusted Lee's % nevertheless

7. I reduced Madison's experience, but not Clinton, who was reelected as governor of NY several times. 

8. I'm going to keep Burr's leadership at 4. He was a natural leader, and the leader of Tammany Hall, even while it had official presidents. Had he run in 1804, his leadership skill would have been one of his remaining traits, considering he had so many skeletons in his closet. 

9. Most of the candidates are already endorsers, under the states that they reside in. I did add Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, however. 

10. More VPs and a Washington what-if will have to wait for a future update. But those are good ideas. 

Thanks again for your attention to detail! 

One thing I noticed as I was playing version 2.0 of this scenario was that the interviews need to be updated to reflect the time period :)

10 minutes ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

One thing I noticed as I was playing version 2.0 of this scenario was that the interviews need to be updated to reflect the time period :)

What did you see? It should be historical newspapers. 

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

What did you see? It should be historical newspapers. 

New York Times 

St. Paul Dispatch

Chicago Tribune 

Philadelphia North American 

12 hours ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

New York Times 

St. Paul Dispatch

Chicago Tribune 

Philadelphia North American 

Ok thanks. I'll change that.