vcczar

1804 Election Update (Historical Scenario Commission)

33 posts in this topic

I'll post the updates/improvements to the 1804 scenario here. 

The Historical Scenario Commission consists of @jvikings1 @CalebsParadox @Patine @Reagan04 @TheMiddlePolitical @SeanFKennedy @Conservative Elector 2 @Take Me to La Riva @vcczar @NYrepublican @MrPrez @msc123123, all of whom will help in improving historical presidential election at their leisure. We will go in chronological order. 

[Anyone wishing to join the HSC can do so by posting here, and can help by playing through the scenarios to find areas for improvement, providing advice for improvements, and for suggesting events, finding typos or other errors. Suggestions for historical newspapers (for interviews), events, surrogates, fixing inflationary index, etc. can also be helpful. ]

Updates will be edited in the list below as they are made. 

~~~~Updates to the scenario so far have been~~~~

• Events added by VCCzar
  • A simulation party has been added to watch the election by VCCzar
  • Issue descriptions mentioning Whigs and Democrats are changed to Federalists and Republicans by VCCzar
  • Region issues set by VCCzar
  • Money coefficient set to 3 by Patine
  • Issue images set by NYRepublican
  • Adjusted endorser support by VCCzar
  • Candidate relations set by VCCzar
  • Adjusted ballot access by VCCzar
  • Adjusted general election bonuses for Federalist candidates by VCCzar
  • Playthrough by ConservativeElector2, VCCzar and CalebsParadox
  • "primary delegates" set to take into account the population of the states of 1804 by VCCzar
  • Flags added by Patine
  • Issue descriptions set by CalebsParadox
  • Henry Lee % adjusted by CalebsParadox
  • James Madison experience reduction by CalebsParadox
  • Charles Cotesworth Pinckney added as endorser by CalebsParadox

This scenario may seem like a lopsided win, but the events are pretty cool-- a caustic NY gubernatorial election, Barbary Pirates war, Louisiana Purchase and Louis and Clark, Burr shooting Hamilton, etc. I also have an event created for when Alexander Hamilton is turned ON. If Hamilton is turned on, then the report that Hamilton died of his wounds is reported as false, and that Hamilton vows to carry on. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

This scenario may seem like a lopsided win, but the events are pretty cool-- a caustic NY gubernatorial election, Barbary Pirates war, Louisiana Purchase and Louis and Clark, Burr shooting Hamilton, etc. I also have an event created for when Alexander Hamilton is turned ON. If Hamilton is turned on, then the report that Hamilton died of his wounds is reported as false, and that Hamilton vows to carry on. 

Does Hamilton suffer a momentum penalty after being shot if he's turned on, though? His campaigning would be impaired for a bit in such a circumstance.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Does Hamilton suffer a momentum penalty after being shot if he's turned on, though? His campaigning would be impaired for a bit in such a circumstance.

I guess I probably should. I actually made it the reverse, thinking that there would be a sympathy support for him. Maybe a penalty isn't needed since candidates didn't actually campaign in person yet. 

@CalebsParadox @Conservative Elector 2 @jvikings1 @NYrepublican

If you end up playing through 1804, please read the edits I've made in the original post. I'm sure you'll find stuff I missed. This is a lopsided election, but I'd like to see if anyone can get close to winning as a Federalist. 

I simulated the primaries with Henry Lee. After I had lost I continued as the winning Gouverneur Morris who chose Pinckney as his VP. Together they lost in a landslide to Jefferson/Clinton. The good news, I did not have any problems. @vcczar

fed_prim.PNG.b2e6f24ff6eab2b5522165909cf3692a.PNGrep_prim.PNG.6056d2083aa7693053c6789f4a15d2d4.PNG1804.PNG.264ac4b750b1bde7a021d8035c495721.PNG

7 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I simulated the primaries with Henry Lee. After I had lost I continued as the winning Gouverneur Morris who chose Pinckney as his VP. Together they lost in a landslide to Jefferson/Clinton. The good news, I did not have any problems. @vcczar

fed_prim.PNG.b2e6f24ff6eab2b5522165909cf3692a.PNGrep_prim.PNG.6056d2083aa7693053c6789f4a15d2d4.PNG1804.PNG.264ac4b750b1bde7a021d8035c495721.PNG

Thanks! Morris would have been demolished by Jefferson, as he was the least democratic of the Federalists in this scenario. 

Lots of updates. Unless anyone finds any typos, errors, inaccuracies, or has any suggestions, then I hope to post this update by tonight. I would certainly like feedback or playthroughs by @CalebsParadox @NYrepublican @jvikings1 or others by tonight, if possible. All internal updates I've made are listed in the original post. 

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Lots of updates. Unless anyone finds any typos, errors, inaccuracies, or has any suggestions, then I hope to post this update by tonight. I would certainly like feedback or playthroughs by @CalebsParadox @NYrepublican @jvikings1 or others by tonight, if possible. All internal updates I've made are listed in the original post. 

Personally (and this is my own opinion and esthetic, and not something I'd push hard for), I somewhat prefer, in terms of party colours, the pink for the Federalists, the green for the Old Republicans (or Democratic-Republicans, in some sources), brown for the short-lived National Republicans, yellow for the Whigs, and purple for the American (Know-Nothing) party found in Wikipedia and a few other historical sources, both because I'm somewhat used to them, but also to differentiate these parties in a long-term scale from each other, even if they don't share a given election. That's my opinion on that issue.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Personally (and this is my own opinion and esthetic, and not something I'd push hard for), I somewhat prefer, in terms of party colours, the pink for the Federalists, the green for the Old Republicans (or Democratic-Republicans, in some sources), brown for the short-lived National Republicans, yellow for the Whigs, and purple for the American (Know-Nothing) party found in Wikipedia and a few other historical sources, both because I'm somewhat used to them, but also to differentiate these parties in a long-term scale from each other, even if they don't share a given election. That's my opinion on that issue.

I'll consider it. However, I'm sort of use to the colors I've been using. Also, I'd have to readjust the colors for the elections I've already uploaded. If more people prefer me changing the colors, then I will make the change. 

One thing: Maybe I am wrong, but there are two VP debates and no main debate in this scenario? @vcczar Perhaps you could look at that.

11 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

One thing: Maybe I am wrong, but there are two VP debates and no main debate in this scenario? @vcczar Perhaps you could look at that.

I thought the first primary debates were 1952 or 1956, the first Presidential debate 1960, and I'm not sure when the first VP debate was, in the United States.

16 minutes ago, Patine said:

I thought the first primary debates were 1952 or 1956, the first Presidential debate 1960, and I'm not sure when the first VP debate was, in the United States.

1956 is correct. I just include the debates just to make the scenarios more fun. If enough people complain, I'll remove them. 

31 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I must have fixed this at some point. My internal has one of each debate. 

@vcczar

I'm making a few flag updates. First (though it won't be yet relevant where you currently stand chronologically for a bit), I've discovered California's current flag has not been it's state flag right from 1850, but only from 1911, and, after some researching am fixing it's three ones between 1850 and 1911. Also, I'm going to download and crop to proper dimensions the current 50 state flags and DC flag that are currently in use, as the TheorySpark flags, with their odd base colour strip on the top and bottom always bugged me, but now they stick out among custom flags. Although, by 1804, only New Jersey, the only U.S. State to use the same flag from the ratification of the U.S. Constitution straight to the modern day, needs an update at this point. I'll send you that later today.

26 minutes ago, Patine said:

@vcczar

I'm making a few flag updates. First (though it won't be yet relevant where you currently stand chronologically for a bit), I've discovered California's current flag has not been it's state flag right from 1850, but only from 1911, and, after some researching am fixing it's three ones between 1850 and 1911. Also, I'm going to download and crop to proper dimensions the current 50 state flags and DC flag that are currently in use, as the TheorySpark flags, with their odd base colour strip on the top and bottom always bugged me, but now they stick out among custom flags. Although, by 1804, only New Jersey, the only U.S. State to use the same flag from the ratification of the U.S. Constitution straight to the modern day, needs an update at this point. I'll send you that later today.

Thanks!

@vcczar Now i'm doing the 1900 - 1928 issue icons

7 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

@vcczar Now i'm doing the 1900 - 1928 issue icons

Thanks! Any chance you'll look through the 1804 election, looking for typos, etc? I'm hoping to get it uploaded tonight. 

Just now, vcczar said:

Thanks! Any chance you'll look through the 1804 election, looking for typos, etc? I'm hoping to get it uploaded tonight. 

very unlikely I'm trying to fix my HOI3 installation.

9 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

very unlikely I'm trying to fix my HOI3 installation.

Ok, no prob.

I'll just wait for word if @CalebsParadox or @jvikings1 will have time to playthrough/find glitches/errors, etc. by tonight. 

I might have some time to test

I'll test after work tonight and let you know about any suggested changes. What's your process for determining regional issue positions?

6 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

I'll test after work tonight and let you know about any suggested changes. What's your process for determining regional issue positions?

I have updated regional issues in the internal, but you won't see the update on your end. For the most part, I keep the states regional issue positions in line with the national positions, except in the cases in which a state is well-known for departing from the norm. For instance, the Slave States will be further right on slavery and states rights. The northeast is more in favor of infrastructure and banking. South wants a lower tariff. The North wants a higher tariff. The west has some common traits with both the North and the South, and nothing terribly extreme, except in Native American policy, and expanded Democracy (when it's available). 

@Patine

I realized I hadn't added your flags for 1804. I just added them. You are credited in the original post on this thread.