Bruce Fischer

President Hamilton's America (1788/89-2020 playthrough)

265 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bruce Fischer said:

Obama's approval rating was around 51-55% in January of 2020 (omitting outliers like a MSNBC/Huffington Post poll which put his approval rating at 172%, and a Fox News/Breitbart poll that put it at 0.1%)

Please keep including tidbits like this. 

9 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

Please keep including tidbits like this. 

Trust me, they're as much fun to work into the story as they seem to be to read :P

2020: America Doesn't Take Sasse Well

While President Obama wasn't overwhelmingly popular, he stood a good chance at reelection and faced no primary challengers.

The Republican frontrunner was Maryland Governor Larry Hogan (❤❤❤). Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse was not far behind him, followed closely (in the popular vote, not delegates) by Texas Senator Ted Cruz and that state's Governor, Greg Abbott. Many other candidates ran but made no significant impact on the race, and subsequently dropped out shortly after Super Tuesday. It soon came down to just Hogan, Sasse, and Cruz. The Texas Senator dropped out in late April, but almost all of his supporters went for Sasse. Hogan looked like her was going to narrowly win the nomination outright (by 1,240 delegates, 3 more than a majority) but then Sasse jumped by 27.4% in Pennsylvania(!!!) and won all of the state's delegates. These upsets actually happened several more times, which led to a contested convention.

Hogan started out with a little over 1,150 delegates, and got endorsed by Justin Amash and Charlie Baker (Amash had like 20 delegates and Baker had 44) but the rest went either to Greg Abbott, Cruz, or Sasse. It finally came down to Hogan, Sasse, Abbott, and Cruz. Cruz endorsed Abbott, but he was still below Sasse and chose to endorse the Nebraska Senator rather than the Maryland Governor. Sasse won with something like 1,270 delegates, and chose Governor Susana Martinez of New Mexico as his running mate.

The popular vote in the general election was always an Obama landslide; the President's lead was always between 15 and 20 points. The Libertarian ticket of Austin Petersen and Adam Kokesh, along with a Kanye West/Kevin Spacey (LOL) ticket and a Mark Cuban/Chuck Hagel ticket (which I was too lazy to change from the Bloomberg party) took a combined ~10% of the vote. The electoral vote was always close, however; at times, Sasse was losing the popular vote by 17 points or more but projected to pick up 290 or more electoral votes! Polls on the day of the election projected a narrow Obama victory...

DXm02.png

...but in the end, the President slightly outperformed his polls.

Capture.PNG.6b42c0a0cd7994553ee5e303cad05b58.PNG

4 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

2020: America Doesn't Take Sasse Well

While President Obama wasn't overwhelmingly popular, he stood a good chance at reelection and faced no primary challengers.

The Republican frontrunner was Maryland Governor Larry Hogan (❤❤❤). Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse was not far behind him, followed closely (in the popular vote, not delegates) by Texas Senator Ted Cruz and that state's Governor, Greg Abbott. Many other candidates ran but made no significant impact on the race, and subsequently dropped out shortly after Super Tuesday. It soon came down to just Hogan, Sasse, and Cruz. The Texas Senator dropped out in late April, but almost all of his supporters went for Sasse. Hogan looked like her was going to narrowly win the nomination outright (by 1,240 delegates, 3 more than a majority) but then Sasse jumped by 27.4% in Pennsylvania(!!!) and won all of the state's delegates. These upsets actually happened several more times, which led to a contested convention.

Hogan started out with a little over 1,150 delegates, and got endorsed by Justin Amash and Charlie Baker (Amash had like 20 delegates and Baker had 44) but the rest went either to Greg Abbott, Cruz, or Sasse. It finally came down to Hogan, Sasse, Abbott, and Cruz. Cruz endorsed Abbott, but he was still below Sasse and chose to endorse the Nebraska Senator rather than the Maryland Governor. Sasse won with something like 1,270 delegates, and chose Governor Susana Martinez of New Mexico as his running mate.

The popular vote in the general election was always an Obama landslide; the President's lead was always between 15 and 20 points. The Libertarian ticket of Austin Petersen and Adam Kokesh, along with a Kanye West/Kevin Spacey (LOL) ticket and a Mark Cuban/Chuck Hagel ticket (which I was too lazy to change from the Bloomberg party) took a combined ~10% of the vote. The electoral vote was always close, however; at times, Sasse was losing the popular vote by 17 points or more but projected to pick up 290 or more electoral votes! Polls on the day of the election projected a narrow Obama victory...

DXm02.png

...but in the end, the President slightly outperformed his polls.

Capture.PNG.6b42c0a0cd7994553ee5e303cad05b58.PNG

ROMNEY IS VINDICATED

12 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

ROMNEY IS VINDICATED

That's exactly 2012 if IA, NM, NH, and NC were flipped. But the exact EV result. Also again please don't quote the entire long post to leave one sentence answer.

(RIP Hogan)

Is this the last election by the way @Bruce Fischer?

32 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

That's exactly 2012 if IA, NM, NH, and NC were flipped. But the exact EV result.

I noticed that!

(RIP Hogan)

OH OH, AND IT SEEMS TO ME

YOU LIVED YOUR LIFE

LIKE A CANDLE IN THE WIND

NEVER KNOWING WHO TO CLING TO

WHEN THE RAIN SET IN

AND I WOULD'VE LIKED TO HAVE KNOWN YOU

BUT I WAS JUST A KID,

YOUR CANDLE BURNED OUT LONG BEFORE, YOUR LEGEND EVER DID

Is this the last election by the way @Bruce Fischer?

I mean I guess it is

Oh, by the way, here is a list of the best Presidents:

Capture.PNG.a2174f70836579c64867625c430213e7.PNG

1) JFK is rated the best, probably due to him serving a term and a half rather than half a term

2) Obama saved America from economic woes and gave them their healthcare back

3) Cordell Hull swiftly ended the Second World War before the end of his first term!

"4)" Ignore William Seward, I was messing around outside this canon.

the real 4) Abraham Lincoln is Abraham Lincoln: awesome and ended slavery for good

5) James A. Garfield lived longer and is much more well known for his anti-corruption measures and civil service reform

6) FDR is FDR: seen as having saved the US from the Great Depression (like IRL, it's actually more nuanced than that); also admired for his charisma

7) Ronald Reagan is Ronald Reagan, conservative messiah who cut taxes and built up the military, though since the Soviet Union didn't fall in the time immediately following his Presidency he's not seen as having had as much of an impact on that as he's seen to have had IRL

8) No idea why Donald Trump is on here, his term was a disaster and he almost lost the 2016 Republican primaries to an annoying, theocratic, half-melted "generic President" dummy Ted Cruz. Maybe because he stopped President Clinton from getting elected to her own term (that might get conservatives to like him) and also gave us two Obama terms (that might get liberals to like him)?

9) I give up, James Buchanan in the top 10...

6 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

an annoying, theocratic, half-melted "generic President" dummy Ted Cruz.

HEYNOW, be nice!:P

2 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

That was the nicest thing I've ever heard about Ted Cruz.

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

57 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

That was the nicest thing I've ever heard about Ted Cruz.

Ted Cruz has said meaner things about Ted Cruz:

(The unintentional implication is that he'd be fine with "copulating with a rodent" as long as it's not Donald Trump :P)

21 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

6) FDR is FDR: seen as having saved the US from the Great Depression (like IRL, it's actually more nuanced than that); also admired for his charisma

WW2 was the reason the Depression ended.  

57 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Though Hitler had it ended in Germany before the war broke out, and China was essentially still unrecovered until the late '50's, early '60's.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

Though Hitler had it ended in Germany before the war broke out, and China was essentially still unrecovered until the late '50's, early '60's.

I was referring to the US, but that is true.  Also, China didn't have the benefit of a Marshall Plan to help recover from the devastation of WW2 and the civil war.

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

23 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

9 hours ago, Bruce Fischer said:

Don't judge, but I didn't know what that meant. :P